Friday, November 09, 2007

Aqua Dots Recall

I've never scene Aqua Dots before, but when I heard about this on the news, I thought I'd see what they were all about.
Aqua Dots are craft kits that contain small multicolored beads that when sprayed with water will fuse together and hold their shape. Well, for the parents that don't watch their kids, as usual, the kids felt the overwhelming urge to put these little beads in their mouth and swallow. A few moments later the child would become dizzy, start to vomit, and possibly go into a coma for several days. This lovely toy, Made in China, contains a coating on the beads, "Which can convert into a chemical compound called the "date-rape drug" gamma hydroxy butyrate when ingested. An overdose of gamma hydroxy butyrate can cause death, a coma or seizures."
One word. NICE. I have three things to say about this:
1. Why are infants playing or in the vicinity of a "craft kit"
2. Where are the parents during this time and why aren't they watching their child?
3. Why does the U.S. not test these toys before they are put on the shelf?
If I were to buy my 15 year old brother a car modeling kit that's for his age range, and I walk away and don't watch my toddler and he goes and eats the paint and gets sick, that is my fault and not the toy makers. Retarded people, retarded.
Not that long ago, a popular toy, Thomas the Tank Engine, was recalled because there was a high dose of lead paint on the toy train. Kids were apparently licking this paint, because that's fun, and got violently sick. The point is, this could have been prevented if it was tested first, before being put on the shelf!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home